Cloth bag for Multicultural Day

Good evening or good morning, 

Please have your children bring a cloth bag, if possible, for Multicultural Day. The students will need it to carry any crafts or papers that they get while moving along the different stations.

Best regards,

Jaime Gomez 

Class Picture

Hello everybody, 

This Friday, May 12 is class picture day. There will be a fair amount of interruptions during the day, so I have moved the Spelling test to Thursday, May 11

Best regards, 

Jaime Gomez

Britannia Mine field trip

Good evening (or morning if you read this tomorrow), 

Just a short message to clarify that, as stated in the circular you received last week, only cameras are allowed in the field trip. All other electronics (phones, iPads) are not. 

Please remember to dress appropriately for this day. 

Kind regards, 

Jaime Gomez

Assembly on February 23

Hello everybody, 

I didn’t emphasize this week that Division 6 was leading the school’s assembly. If you can come, you would be even more welcome than usual to join us. 

Also, in your child’s planner you can read that for tomorrow we had a “Math test – games!” written down. This is a test based on a math game the students created for the four basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). They chose the problems and had ample opportunities to play the game at school. This said, as preparations for the assembly have taken a good chunk of our time, the students might not take this “test” tomorrow. I will inform you via this blog and their planners if that is the case.

Kind regards, 

Jaime Gomez

Coming activities

Good morning, 

As you all know, this Friday the students will have the opportunity to see a BC First Nations Artifacts collection. As I was checking the payment slips, I found two that had the receipt number but no name. If you would be so kind to check in your records and let me know who they are it would be greatly appreciated. The numbers are: 7587588 and 7596886. I can be contacted at jaime.gomez@sd41.bc.ca

A reminder also that we are collecting permission slips and payment for the tennis sessions. Please ignore if you have already done this.

Wishing you have a good week,

Jaime Gomez 

Thank you

Good morning, 

I hope you all got the chance to enjoy the long weekend and have a great Family Day. 

I also wish to thank all of you who shared a treat with all of us in Division 6. Happy Valentine’s Day! (It’s still Valentine’s Day as I write this post 🙂

This week there will be no spelling lists as it is a very short one. We will continue when the children return to classes next Monday, February 20.

Sincerely,

Jaime Gomez 

News from Division 6

Hello Division 6 families,

This is the first “official” post of this blog. I will give you an outline of some of the work we are doing now in class.

Math

The children are working on a board game designed by them in which they are testing their knowledge of basic facts in the four operations – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Once this is completed we will study geometry – polygons and prisms.

Science

We have begun our unit on matter. Last week we asked the question “What is all matter made of?” Soon we will start learning about atoms, molecules and properties of matter.

Social Studies:

We will learn about the potlatch and its importance for the West Coast First Nations of British Columbia. Last week we studied totem poles, and from now on, their seating groups will be referred to as their “clans”.

English/Language Arts:

We continue with Daily 5 and the spelling tests at the end of the week. I will ask the children to choose their best piece of writing in preparation for the district’s “Words Writing Project”.  

Best regards,

Jaime Gomez