Pens, Pencils and Primary

By Mrs. Glavas

THANK YOU!

May 25 2017 - In: Back To School glavasl

Comments Off on THANK YOU!

A very special THANK YOU to all of our parents for your support this school year!  It’s much appreciated!  We could not do it without you!

Comments Off on MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU!

A special thank you to all of the parents who made it to our Open House Student Led Conferences on Wednesday!  The students were very happy to share all of their hard work with you.  I appreciated all of the kind compliments about the work we do in our classroom.  

On Thursday, we celebrated May the 4th in a galactic way!  Since we have many Star Wars fans in the class, we enjoyed the day by creating Yoda pictures, visiting Parkcrest’s own Planetarium in the Gym and wearing Star Wars t-shirts, hairstyles and/or costumes!  

It was out of this world!  😉  

Comments Off on CHOCOLATE FEVER!

My Guided Reading group just finished reading Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith. We celebrated finishing this chapter book, just as the main character Henry would have – we shared a GIANT chocolate bunny!  Reading is delicious!

*A special THANK YOU to Ms Sanchez for bringing in the chocolate bunny for us to share!  

PUZZLES!

April 2 2017 - In: Back To School glavasl

Comments Off on PUZZLES!

We love puzzles! We started and finished a 1000 piece puzzle this past week!

If anyone has extra puzzles (medium sized pieces, approximately 1000 pieces) sitting on a shelf that they would like to lend us or donate to our classroom, we would greatly appreciate the challenge!

THANK YOU!

Comments Off on Happy Retirement!

Happy Retirement to our dear librarian, Mrs. Hain!  

After thirty five years in the district (Mrs. Hain even taught my younger brothers in Kindergarten at Gilpin School in 1984!), treating all students with patience and kindness,  as well as spreading her joy of literacy with all, Mrs. Hain is ready to say “ALOHA” to a new chapter in her life.  

We wish her very well.   She will definitely be missed at Parkcrest.  

Comments Off on Studying Salmon!

During this past term, our class studied salmon and we had the added bonus of watching the salmon eggs develop in Ms Marto’s classroom.  Our class learned about the salmon lifecycle, interesting facts, and about the different types of salmon.  We allowed our questions to guide our learning, following an Inquiry based approach.  If students had something they wondered about, we figured out ways to find the answer – whether it was to research ideas in a book, search it on the internet or ask an expert.  To enhance our learning, our district Aboriginal teacher, Ms Price, spent time in our class sharing art, stories, books, songs, dances and videos about the incredible salmon from her First Nations perspective. 

Comments Off on Baking Sugar Cookies!

We had such a fun day baking with my mom and my daughter on Valentine’s Day!

Students were put into small groups and were able to measure, add, mix, roll and cut out the dough with cookie cutters, using my mom’s recipe that she has been using for almost fifty years! Our family does not have a celebration without Gramma’s delicious sugar cookies. They have become one of our family’s traditions. I enjoyed sharing a special part of my life and family with the students on a special occasion that celebrates kindness and caring.

Baking and decorating the sugar cookies was a wonderful, social and creative activity that also used our math and science skills in the kitchen.

Many of you have asked for my mom’s recipe so I will share it here.  Happy Baking!

Gramma Joyce’s Sugar Cookies Recipe 

2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

½ cup softened margarine

2 eggs

1 tsp baking powder

Mix ingredients. Add a touch of flour to hands and counter or table. Roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness. Dough should not be sticky.   Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes. Bake for 6 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool and decorate!

ENJOY! 

Kindness!

February 16 2017 - In: Celebrations, School Work glavasl

Comments Off on Kindness!

Right now, more than ever, the world needs more love and kindness.  So, our class is “Throwing kindness around like confetti”, with hopes to educate others.  

Please notice that students have added little typed messages with ideas for how to be kind to others.  🙂

Valentine’s Day!

February 10 2017 - In: Back To School glavasl

Comments Off on Valentine’s Day!

Our class created the cutest (I mean…scariest!) Valentine monster mailbags for Valentine’s Day!  

Reminder:

Please bring candies to decorate the cookies we will be baking, as well as valentine cards for everyone in the class.  

Happy Family Day long weekend!  🙂

Yoga!

February 9 2017 - In: Back To School glavasl

Comments Off on Yoga!

Last week, our class participated in yoga sessions where we learned relaxation and self-regulation strategies through different yoga moves and breathing techniques to promote our physical and social-emotional well-being.