Students should have:

September, 2017

A reminder; students should have:
Essential Elements 2000 Book 1 method book for your child’s instrument
a 1″ three-ring binder or folder with pockets is ideal.  All the music your child will be getting over the year is much easier to organize if it’s in a 1″ binder or folder; the key signatures and some notes on the left side of the page get covered when using a Duotang.
– WITH VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS, MUSIC SHOULD NOT BE KEPT INSIDE THE INSTRUMENT CASE.  Cases seldom have room for music as well as the instrument and jamming music into the case can result in bent keys, etc.
– (optional, but recommended) a folding music stand for home (and school in some cases)

Practice schedule

Like all subjects, students will require different amounts of time to learn the assigned skills and assignments.

10 minutes of practicing per day, three days per week is a good start (of course, more is better!) toward achieving a reasonable standard of performance and will make a huge difference in your child’s progress and the quality of the experience.   Band builds upon previous skills and it’s very difficult to catch up once a student falls behind.

Please set up a regular practice time with your son/daughter.

**  THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIME TO PRACTICE!  **

Method Book

When you are renting an instrument, please buy a copy for your child’s instrument of Book 1 of Essential Elements 2000.  If you can find a used copy, that’s fine with me; it doesn’t have to be a new book.

Buying an instrument

I recommend renting an instrument for the year.  However, for those who prefer to purchase an instrument for their child’s use, I highly recommend making a purchase from a reputable music store that can repair the instrument.  Although some instruments can be bought for a price that seems too good to be true, they are often more difficult to play and can be expensive or even impossible to repair.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding recommended brands to either purchase or rent.

Reeds

All clarinet and saxophone players should have FOUR #2 REEDS in a reed guard.  A reed guard is made of hard plastic and is designed to store reeds flat and keep them from warping and being damaged in the case.  It does not have a rubber band holding the reeds in place.  (Good reeds should not be stored on the mouthpiece.  However, you can use an old or damaged reed on the mouthpiece to keep the ligature from bending).  I usually have reeds on hand for emergency use that I will sell at the beginning of class for close to cost ($2 for clarinet reeds, $3 for alto sax, and $4 for tenor sax).  For the best in sound and embouchure development, most clarinetists will be using #2½ early in the term.  If you want to buy a box of reeds for clarinet, please buy #2½ along with four #2 reeds to start.  For saxophones, please buy a box of #2 reeds.

Folding music stand

If possible, please buy a folding music stand for your child’s use at home and school.  It simplifies practicing at home and helps promote good posture and playing habits.

Band, like any other subject in school, requires effort.  A band is a team and its success depends upon the active participation and co-operation of everyone in the class.  Should a student fail to follow through with the expectations outline below he or she may be transferred to an alternate music program.  Parents/guardians, please discuss with your child the following rules/expectations which are essential in creating an enjoyable experience for all.

IN CLASS

1. I will bring my instrument, music (sheet music in a three ring binder or folder with pockets), and pencil to all classes.
  2. I will neatly put away my own music stand and chair at the end of every class.
  3. I will participate in a manner which promotes learning.
  4. When the teacher stops conducting, I will stop playing and wait for instruction without talking.  If I have a question, I will raise my hand and wait to be asked before speaking.
  5. I will listen while the teacher is talking.  This means “eyes on the teacher” with my instrument in rest position.
  6. I will play my instrument in a respectful manner.  This means I will never aim my instrument at someone and make a loud sound.
  7. I will respect my and others’ instruments.  This means I am the only person to touch or play my instrument and I do not touch or play other people’s instruments.
  8. After permission is given to go to the bathroom or to get a drink of water (one student at a time), I will put my instrument flat on the floor or in its case.  I will not rest it on my chair or music stand.

OUT OF CLASS (not a rule, but a clear expectation)

1. I will practice my instrument until my assigned music is learned or a minimum of 30 minutes per week.
  • Music is a subject where working with others is desirable – and can be a lot of FUN! I give bonus marks to students who practice in groups of two or more for a minimum of fifteen minutes and record what they have accomplished.  I will hand out the sheet to students who ask for it.If you have any questions, please contact me through the school or at stephen.denroche@sd41.bc.ca.

Musically yours,

Mr. D