Loran Scholars Foundation:
In partnership with universities, donors and volunteers across the country, we’re investing in the future of Canada. We offer the country’s largest and most comprehensive four-year undergraduate award (valued at $100,000) to young Canadians on the basis of character, service and the promise of leadership.
Byrne Creek can sponsor up to three candidates. If you are not selected to be sponsored, you are encouraged to apply into the Direct Pool (details below).
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to be sponsored by Byrne Creek, please respond to the questions listed below. You must submit these responses to Ms. Falsetto and the Byrne Creek Scholarship Committee before Monday, October 16, 2017. You will be notified the following day if you are sponsored.
Please recognize that your full sponsored application is due to https://apply.loranscholar.ca/candidate_profiles/new on Wednesday, October 18th.
- Describe what you consider to be your most significant volunteer contribution to date in terms of its value to your school or larger community. Why was it important to you and others?
- Describe a time you challenged yourself by taking on a task/project you felt was beyond your scope and capability at the time. Why did you do it? What happened?
3A) Please list up to three significant leadership roles where you were responsible for organizing a group of people in order to achieve a common goal or task.
3B) Choose the leadership role above that was the most challenging for you. What goal did you establish with your group? Describe the steps you took to reach your goal. What difficulties did you face with the group, and how did you resolve them? Whether or not you reached your goal, tell us what you learned about yourself and others in the process.
- Describe a time when you took the initiative to address an unmet need at school or in the community. What was the need and what steps did you take? What were the results of your actions?
What Loran Looks For: As you know, our selection criteria are character, service and leadership. We are looking for young people who deeply value honesty, are curious by nature and are interested in a wide range of subjects. The scholars we select are willing to take meaningful risks and prioritize results over appearances. Each one has shown a sustained commitment to service in the community, has taken the initiative to create positive changes and is interested in working for a better world.
Direct Pool: If more than three students are interested in applying, please encourage the other students to apply to our direct pool. We understand that there are sometimes more qualified candidates than there are sponsorship spots, and offer the direct pool process for this reason. Although sponsored candidates have historically received more provincial awards and honour citations, we select Loran Scholars through both application processes.
Eligibility criteria for high school students
- Be in their final year of uninterrupted full- time studies in high school.
- Present a minimum cumulative average of 85%.
- Hold Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
- Must be 16 years of age or older as of September 1st, 2018.
October 18: Deadline for all sponsored applications to be submitted
October 25: Deadline for all direct pool applications to be submitted
Grade 12 students can start their application today at apply.loranscholar.ca. They may also view our application overview and a sample application form.
See Ms. Falsetto with any questions or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Twitter @msfalsettobyrne.