ISKWEW Singers

http://artstarts.com/artist-profile/iskwew-singers

On Friday afternoon at Stoney Creek Community School we enjoyed a performance by, a Vancouver based Iskwew Singers (pronounced is-kway-yo and meaning woman in the Cree language) create and perform songs in the plains tradition. Their voices join in gorgeous harmonies to present a beautiful repertoire of ancient and new songs set to the heartbeat of mother earth heard from their hand drums. Their songs tell stories of our connection to the earth, to the Creator and to one another.  Their message is one of community and the celebration of culture of their peoples who have survived the impacts of colonization.

December

December Shenanigans

It was an action packed last few days of school before winter break.  Sing-a-long in the gym + pancake breakfast + gingerbread houses + falling snow = serious excitement!  The gingerbread houses involved a lot of kids and supplies (900 graham crackers), a lot of icing (tub-fulls), a lot of candy (I mean A LOT of candy), a lot of fun and a lot of helping hands (thank you parents for bringing in the supplies and Mr. Lathigee’s class for their helping hands!).  The children enjoyed building forts in the freshly fallen snow!

Night-time Pumpkins

This lesson was inspired by a post on the blog Deep Space Sparkle (see link below).  The kids loved each and every step of the process, which began with drawing ‘real’ looking pumpkins. Not perfectly round pumpkins with perfectly symmetrical sections and perfectly rectangular pumpkin stems.  Not our pumpkins!  Ours were destined to resemble what one might actually find upon visiting the pumpkin patch.  Lopsided, tall, skinny, lumpy, bumpy, lopsided pumpkins of shapes and sizes.  Our pumpkins were lumpy and bumpy with soft curves.  They had pointy, crooked, stubby, and everything in between stems.  Real pumpkins.

They drew some random leaves around their pumpkins before outlining in black crayon.  We read Little Blue and Little Yellow, by Leo Lionni, a story of friendship, colours, diversity, and so much more.  These artists were ready to mix colours!  The children were given RED, YELLOWand BLUE paint.  They mixed the red and yellow right on their papers to make ORANGE.  No cleaning paintbrushes!  For the leaves they mixed yellow and blue to make GREEN and then mixed all three colours to make BROWN for their stems.  Awesome pretty much sums it up.

http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/2012/10/04/starlight-pumpkin-art-lesson/

Welcome Back

Dear Grade 1 and 2 Families,

I would like to welcome everyone back from what I hope was an enjoyable yet relaxing summer. I am very much looking forward to this year in Grade 1/2 at Lyndhurst Elementary School. We are going to have an exciting year where the students will learn many new and interesting things.

I have put together some information for you to hopefully answer any questions that you
may have. Please feel free to contact me at the school if you have any other questions
or concerns. I look forward to meeting all of you during the first few weeks of school!

In my classroom, I follow the BC redesigned curriculum set by the Ministry of Education. The first term of school will focus on each child’s Personal and Social Competencies. By learning daily routines, as well as participating in cooperative activities, the students learn to work as a group, begin to develop close relationships, and learn to problem-solve when difficult situations arise.

Sincerely,
Miss. Brancati

Spuds in Tubs

Just before Spring Break we began our journey with the Spuds in Tubs program. It is a program funded by BC Agriculture in the classroom. This program is designed to be hands on and involves the students planting, watering, caring for and eventually harvesting and eating (at our Potato party!) once our crop is ready.

Upcoming Special Events

Please check the June School Calendar for upcoming walking field trips to nearby parks. Parents are all welcome to attend the year end festivities. Hope to see you there!

Lyndhurst PAC

A special thanks to our PAC for the funds for our Handwriting Without Tears Program for my class. If you would like to know more about the program, please see the web link.

Animal Growth and Changes

cute_frog_02_hq_pictures_168945[1]Science
Life Science: Animal Growth and Changes
Update: Children will soon be choosing an animal to research. We will be learning how to search for good websites for kids to find facts about our animal. They will be working so diligently with their partners. It’s been so great to see everyone working cooperatively with such motivation to discover new things. We have come up with questions for each other as well to help guide our learning and to activate our curiosity. As a class, we’ve been learning a lot about the many ways that animals can adapt – like physical adaptations and behavioural adaptations (migration, hibernation, mimicking, colour changes and camouflage).
Learning Outcomes
By the end of the grade, students should have an understanding of animal life cycles and why animals are important to other living things.
Knowledge for this unit:
different kinds of animals have different life cycles (e.g., bird, insect, mammal)
animals’ characteristics (e.g., skin covering) help them adapt to the conditions in their environment
animals have behaviours such as hibernation and migration
animals’ behaviours help them adapt to seasonal conditions in their environment
animals are important in the lives of Aboriginal peoples

Vocabulary
young, adult, life cycle, behaviour, appearance, food, predator, prey, enemies, environment, male, female, characteristics, insect, bird, mammal, reptile, amphibian, fish, hibernate, migrate

Year Overview
This year, here are the four areas that will be covered according to the Tracking System that Burnaby Schools follow for a Grade 2/3 class in the North zone:

Inferring & Predicting
Air, Water & Soil (3rd term)
Structures (1st term)
Animal Growth & Changes (2nd term)

Compassion

Tomorrow afternoon we will be having our second virtues lesson, on Compassion. Compassion is,the concern for the misfortune of another paired with the wish to help. Some related words or phrases are: concern, tenderhearted, empathy, kindness,consideration,care,sympathy
humanity and charity. Children can better understand this trait hen they have an understanding of what compassionate actions look like and sound like. They will then be more likely to incorporate the behaviors below into their daily lives.

What Compassionate People Say:
―You look upset.
―I understand how you feel.
―I’m sad that you got hurt.
―That happened to me too, once. It makes me feel sad
for you.
―I’m so sorry that happened. Let me help.
―I bet it hurts a lot.
―What can I do to help?

What Compassionate People Do:
-Notice when people are hurting, and show that they feel
for them. -Feel sad when they see someone crying or hurt
-Console others in pain

Ask your child what the lesson on compassion was today and how they can be more compassionate towards others?

A Grateful Teacher

A Grateful Teacher

Dear Families~

Words cannot express the gratitude I feel to have the amazing support of my students and their families. The students did a fantastic job at performing in our “Christmas Concert” and had such great dance moves! Also, a great big thank-you to the parents who made the delicious pancakes for our pancake breakfast. I was deeply touched by everyone’s generosity and enjoyed your gifts. The memories I’ve made so far with your wonderful children are embedded in my mind and heart and I feel so grateful to have the opportunity to help make a difference, thank you for sharing your most precious gifts with me. So from the bottom of my heart thank you so very much!

I wish you all a joyous holiday and healthy New Year.

Sincerely, Miss. Brancati