Pictures

Now that our morning tub routines are underway and our behavior expectations are in place. 

Here is a look at our creative thinking skills! (A cube, a Ferris wheel, Olympic rings, a train, a crown, house building, teddy bear patterning.  Stay tuned for more pictures! 

Core Competencies and Creative Thinking

Grade 1-Creative Thinking, I get ideas when I play and explore.  I try a new idea when something doesn’t work.

Hands-On Morning Tubs will benefit you and your students in a multitude of ways, including the following:

– Promotes Socialization

– Gives Students Choice

– Creates a Positive Classroom Environment

– Thinking Outside the Box

– Collaborative Learning

– Provides Opportunities for Play

Show and Tell

Dear Div. 4 students,

Just a reminder we will begin our show and tell this coming Monday!  I am looking forward to everyone’s presentations.  

Welcome Back!

I would like to welcome everyone back from what I hope was an enjoyable yet relaxing summer. I am very much looking forward to teaching GRADE 1 this school year! We are going to have an exciting year where the students will learn many new and interesting things.

Please feel free to contact me at the school or by email if you have any other questions or concerns. I look forward to meeting all of you during the first few weeks of school!

ISKWEW Singers

http://artstarts.com/artist-profile/iskwew-singers

On Friday afternoon at Stoney Creek Community School we enjoyed a performance by, a Vancouver based Iskwew Singers (pronounced is-kway-yo and meaning woman in the Cree language) create and perform songs in the plains tradition. Their voices join in gorgeous harmonies to present a beautiful repertoire of ancient and new songs set to the heartbeat of mother earth heard from their hand drums. Their songs tell stories of our connection to the earth, to the Creator and to one another.  Their message is one of community and the celebration of culture of their peoples who have survived the impacts of colonization.

December

December Shenanigans

It was an action packed last few days of school before winter break.  Sing-a-long in the gym + pancake breakfast + gingerbread houses + falling snow = serious excitement!  The gingerbread houses involved a lot of kids and supplies (900 graham crackers), a lot of icing (tub-fulls), a lot of candy (I mean A LOT of candy), a lot of fun and a lot of helping hands (thank you parents for bringing in the supplies and Mr. Lathigee’s class for their helping hands!).  The children enjoyed building forts in the freshly fallen snow!

Night-time Pumpkins

This lesson was inspired by a post on the blog Deep Space Sparkle (see link below).  The kids loved each and every step of the process, which began with drawing ‘real’ looking pumpkins. Not perfectly round pumpkins with perfectly symmetrical sections and perfectly rectangular pumpkin stems.  Not our pumpkins!  Ours were destined to resemble what one might actually find upon visiting the pumpkin patch.  Lopsided, tall, skinny, lumpy, bumpy, lopsided pumpkins of shapes and sizes.  Our pumpkins were lumpy and bumpy with soft curves.  They had pointy, crooked, stubby, and everything in between stems.  Real pumpkins.

They drew some random leaves around their pumpkins before outlining in black crayon.  We read Little Blue and Little Yellow, by Leo Lionni, a story of friendship, colours, diversity, and so much more.  These artists were ready to mix colours!  The children were given RED, YELLOWand BLUE paint.  They mixed the red and yellow right on their papers to make ORANGE.  No cleaning paintbrushes!  For the leaves they mixed yellow and blue to make GREEN and then mixed all three colours to make BROWN for their stems.  Awesome pretty much sums it up.

http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/2012/10/04/starlight-pumpkin-art-lesson/

Welcome Back

Dear Grade 1 and 2 Families,

I would like to welcome everyone back from what I hope was an enjoyable yet relaxing summer. I am very much looking forward to this year in Grade 1/2 at Lyndhurst Elementary School. We are going to have an exciting year where the students will learn many new and interesting things.

I have put together some information for you to hopefully answer any questions that you
may have. Please feel free to contact me at the school if you have any other questions
or concerns. I look forward to meeting all of you during the first few weeks of school!

In my classroom, I follow the BC redesigned curriculum set by the Ministry of Education. The first term of school will focus on each child’s Personal and Social Competencies. By learning daily routines, as well as participating in cooperative activities, the students learn to work as a group, begin to develop close relationships, and learn to problem-solve when difficult situations arise.

Sincerely,
Miss. Brancati

Spuds in Tubs

Just before Spring Break we began our journey with the Spuds in Tubs program. It is a program funded by BC Agriculture in the classroom. This program is designed to be hands on and involves the students planting, watering, caring for and eventually harvesting and eating (at our Potato party!) once our crop is ready.

Upcoming Special Events

Please check the June School Calendar for upcoming walking field trips to nearby parks. Parents are all welcome to attend the year end festivities. Hope to see you there!