- Foster the potential of highly able learners by supporting their cognitive, social and emotional development.
- Validate, recognize, use and develop the students’ varied strengths and talents.
- Provide students with opportunities to establish social interactions with like-minded peers.
- Develop teamwork, collaboration and leadership skills in a safe environment.
- Support greater self-awareness and self-understanding.
- Supplement existing classroom and school supports.
- Theme-based learning across disciplines (e.g. explorations)
- Creative problem based learning
- Hands-on learning
- Inquiry based learning
- Imaginative explorations
- Extracurricular disciplines (e.g. philosophy, engineering, etc.)
- Exploring the lives of experts
- Learning in greater depth and complexity
- Run from October to Mid-May.
- Consist of three modules of 6 – 7 weeks. Students attend all modules.
- Groups of 8 to 10 students meet for a two hour session once per week during the length of the module.
- Students are nominated by school-based teams and participants are selected from these applicants by a district committee in May for the upcoming school year.
- Consists of three passion/interest based modules (Oct-Nov), (Jan-Feb), (April-May).
- Modules run 6-7 weeks.
- Schools are allocated a set number of spots for these sessions.
- Schools are asked to consider the characteristics of highly-able learners when choosing participants.
- Students should be made aware of module descriptions and indicate the ones they are interested in before the school makes nominations.
- Based on school nominations and space available participants are placed in modules for the upcoming school year.
PLEASE NOTE: Transportation to and from any of the Challenge Programs will be arranged by parents in consultation with their school.
Grade 2-5 Challenge Program at Parkcrest Elementary
Grade 6/7 Challenge Program at Parkcrest Elementary
Schools submit applications online for all Challenge Programs and will contact parents to provide input to the application. All information and online forms for our programs can be found on the main applications page.