Inquiry

Power of Story – English 10

By Jenifer Barsky, Cariboo Hill Secondary When I was a student in school, I used to dread those assignments where my teachers would ask me to explore my cultural or ethnic heritage. They’d ask us to share details of our … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Cross-curricular Connections with Aboriginal Education

Integrating Aboriginal Education Across the Curriculum By Pat Bathurst, Maywood Community School I am a true believer in thematic based curriculum and whenever possible I try to integrate student learning into as many subject areas as possible. I also wanted to … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Learning is embedded in memory, history and story

By Cindy Wong and Alison Atkinson, Moscrop Secondary Alison and I began our investigation into the integration of Aboriginal perspective with many questions around teaching:  How do we as English teachers both integrate Aboriginal content and the Principles of Learning … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

English 12 Exploration of Societal Attitudes

*This blog post is based on a lesson where English 12 students did an impromptu read of a recent Maclean’s article. The students’ responses are raw and show some of their current thinking and experiences. The teacher’s role in such … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Inquiry Team Session 3

The Aboriginal Education Inquiry Team met for the third session on January 15 at Burnaby North. The session started with English Teacher Denise Ferreira from Byrne Creek Secondary sharing her work with the inclusion of Aboriginal literature in her classroom, which featured … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Exploring Diverse Cultures in a Diverse Classroom

Ms. Ewan, Maywood Elementary School This is the first time I have taught grade 4, I had to move schools, and our start of year was….unusual. With so much of the Social Studies curriculum in grade 4 focused on Aboriginal … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Discovering Personal Traits

Exploring animal totems to develop a greater understanding of ourselves and others. A series of lessons taught in a grade 2/3 class. By Leah Dixon and Clare McGivern at University Highlands In the fall our teaching trio (student teacher – … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

This Year is Gonna Rock! Using Inuksuks to establish class rules and beliefs

L’inuksuk ce vieux sage fait de pierres nous guide en silence et nous sert de repère Classes run smoother when students know what behaviour is expected of them. We built our Inuksuks in September but this lesson could work just … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Aboriginal Education Inquiry Team Session 2

On November 20 the Stronger Together Inquiry Team gathered for the second session of the year. Teachers on the team investigated the First Peoples Principles of Learning and the ‘Big Questions’ we have about the Principles and how they can … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Ms Ferreira: Byrne Creek Secondary – English 10 & 11

What did we do? Students chose a focus for their project and plugged it into the question: “How do we overcome _____________ ?” They could choose from a number of different options, but many of them chose fear or trauma … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment

Aboriginal Education Inquiry Team Session 1

Twenty classroom teachers from K-12 spent the first of a series of days discussing the inclusion of Aboriginal worlview and perspective in their classroom practice. The intention of the inquiry team is to enhance the great practices already taking place in classrooms … Continue reading

Posted in Inquiry | Leave a comment